Steve had his first chemo therapy this week. He was admitted on Tuesday night. Here is the run-down of how things went:
*Three nurses tried 2 times each to start a line in his chest port. (One nurse told Tracee to glove up and watch and learn)
*Three nurses realized there must be something wrong with the chest port.
*Peripheral IV line started and pre-medications given.
*Chemo started.
*After 1st chemo med was administered, Rituxin begun.
*Reaction to Rituxin, "rigors" or severe shakes and chills. Expected.
*Given Demerol for shakes and chills.
*Welts and severe itching from Demerol spreading up arm and shoulder to chest.
*Eyes start to swell and sinuses plug up.
*Benedryl given to counter act the Demerol. Told to never take Demerol again.
*Eyes continue to swell, not just the eyelids, but the EYEBALLS.
*Eyeballs now swelling outside of sockets, eyelids can't close completely,gross.
*Chemo stopped and steroids given IV.
*Allergic symptoms begin to get better. Eyes slowly start to un-swell.
*This morning, x-rays to see what was wrong with port.
*Port is flipped over. (Dog clobbered Steve a few nights ago when they were playing.)
*Steve needs surgery for new port.
*Steve doesn't want surgery.
*Steve flips his port back over through his skin.
*Radiologist and nurses amazed.
*Port works and chemo continues.
*Eyes are back in sockets
*Chemo done, eyes better, home!!!!!
He is doing well here at home tonight. And he is cute again!!

OH MY! I just have to say that Steve is very impressive. Flipping his port! WOW!
ReplyDeleteThoughts and prayers. Love you guys!
Amazing... so glad he's home and resting comfortably again. Love you all...
ReplyDeleteThank you for not posting a picture of his bug eyes :) I'd say that Steve is officially hard core for flipping his own port over!! I'm very impressed! Love you Terry Family!!
ReplyDeleteLove you Steve! Allergic reactions are just so fun, aren't they? You need or just want ANYTHING, call us.
ReplyDeleteOh, I am so sorry that Steve (and your family) had to go through this. Please know that Steve is in my prayers along with you for strength and comfort. Please let me know if there is anything I can help with.
ReplyDeleteThat does not look like fun at all. What a champ!! Tell Steve that he is in our prayers. I sure love your family. :)
ReplyDeleteLove you guys!
ReplyDelete